Thursday, December 12, 2013

Firehose Treatment - Open Wide

I needed to take a short bit of time off from blogging while I worked out the details of interviewing, negotiating and relocating (at least me) to Seattle from Connecticut.  I am now into my second week of work at the largest online retailer and the fire hose is blasting full force.

Being this big means that someone has already done a lot of thinking about how to make something massively scalable.  Back in "the day" I remember pouring over the Principles of Transaction Programming book by Phil Bernstein.  I knew this stuff inside and out and it still serves me.

 


Given the massive need for scalability I have had to dust of some new/old theories. ACID is out BASE is in.  Sure I have read about a bunch of these over the last few years, but it is different being at a place that is actually doing it.

Here is a list of things blowing my mind today...

  1. Eventual Consistency - It will get there when it gets there.

  2. Anti Entropy - Anything with the word entropy in it I find confusing.  So what is Anti-Entropy? :-0

  3. AWS - I had to pay for this before, now everything we deploy is already running on this.  Note to self; shutdown my services and save a couple bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment