Friday, July 26, 2024

Builders gotta build

When I talk to people about what I like about what I do - there are usually two things that I tell them. First that I like to build stuff and second to solve problems. I am a builder - both in my professional and personal life. Building software is what I get paid to do because I have demonstrated that I am good at it. Building in the physical world is just fun.


Take for instance "building" at home. Fixed things in the house. Upgrades. Or creating something that I need. The one that I wished I had yesterday was a yard tool holder. I recently moved and left the yard tool holder behind. It was something that I built out of extra lumber I had around the house. It looked something like the picture I attached, but custom made for the tools and the materials I had available. I knew what I wanted / needed but was constrained by what I had available.

Sounds like a parallel to building software. There are the requirements and then there is what you can do. The components available and time are both constraints to what you can complete. This is one place where the problem solving comes into play - putting it all together to complete (deliver) something.

There is something rewarding about completing something that I built. Yesterday it was waxing poetic about my yard tool holder. Sounds like an opportunity to consider version 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment