Monday, July 29, 2024

My Brain Doing Background Processing


Maybe you're like me where when you run into an issue - your brain is working on the problem in the background and sometime later a solution emerges. But when it's happening, I am [mostly] not aware of it. Call it my subconscious? I have had this happen over and over, but it's not something I feel entirely able to control. For instance, my brain does not support an explicit action like...

In fact, it's sort of a mystery to me which things end up getting queued up this way and which one don't. It does seem to be limited to things that I already know but have not built an association between the problem and the answer yet.

Rather than figuring out the brain mechanics I just accept that it happens. So much so that it's become part of my management style. I often suggest to folks that they "noodle" on something and see if it comes to them later (say in the shower  / positive ion generator). More frequently than not, it comes to them.

This happened to me over the weekend around my recent post on standing up a Pokemon Go mapping application. What came to me is that that problem really needed a deployment container (e.g. Docker) where a working set of all the Python code was already assembled and could be deployed as a working system. Seems obvious now, but it wasn't something I was aware of trying to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment