Monday, July 22, 2024

Be a Student of Management

My experience is being a manager is hard. More specifically it's hard to do well. In my career I have tried being a manager and decided it was not for me and gone back to being an individual contributor. I liked the idea of being a manager but could tell I was not ready to be a good manager.

It wasn't until I became a manager where I was also considered an officer of the company and the company enrolled me in a year-long training. Oh wait, there is training for this? This is when I became a student of management. The assumption that the skills that made me a great individual contributor were the same as the ones I needed to be an equally great manager were quickly dispelled. I needed to grow some new muscles.

I am a naturally curious person, so this was something I wanted to learn more about. That is after I swallowed a little humility. I started off reading a handful of books recommended as part of the development program. These were helpful and gave me a foundation for the type of manager I wanted to be. But it was only through trying (and at times failing) that I learned where my weaknesses were. The biggest one was to not try and control the outcomes of using my technical expertise. This is where I came up with the pattern I called controlled failure - a topic for another post.

The key for me has been to acknowledge that as good of a manager I am, that I need to remain humble. There is always something new to learn. I have learned things at the best and worst of times. My goal is never stop learning how to be the best manager I can be - to always be a student.

Adam Grant is someone I have learned a bunch from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment