Monday, August 19, 2024

Who I Work With is a Choice


Since leaving Amazon, I have been recharging and considering what I want to take on next and with whom. I followed a similar process in 2013 when I last looked for my next opportunity. Then, I gathered a list of the top 10 companies I respected and focused my search on those. I needed to align my principles with the companies that aligned with them. This led me to also form a list of companies that didn't align with my principles and exclude them from my search. As a result, I passed up some well-paying opportunities.

For instance, Amazon was on the list in 2013 because of my experience with no-hassle returns and Amazon Prime. Secondarily, it was the technology, tools, and innovation.

A lot has changed since 2013, including my prioritization of principles. For instance, after the 2016 election, I am paying more attention to politics. It's not a party affiliation but rather a candidate and their policies. It is a contradiction to say you support me as a transgender person and then support policies that limit my freedoms. It's also about the larger company culture concerning diversity, equity, inclusion, social impact, and corporate responsibility.

From what I hear and see, the job market is in a cycle where it's challenging to land a job. I can feel the tension between landing a job and standing by principles. It's a choice.

Ultimately, it's not a choice for me. I have not been happy when I have worked with less principled teams. I am the type of person who wants to wake up in the morning and is glad to be working with the company/team. That does not mean it's easy or there are no challenges. But it does allow me to be myself, be comfortable asking for help, know that I will get help, and pay it forward by helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment