Friday, August 30, 2024

Is Doing the Right Thing - Right?

For most of this year (the last nine months), I have been pondering whether doing the right thing is right. Let me clarify. For me, doing the right thing in the context of honesty or integrity - is ALWAYS the right thing. Is doing what I feel is the right thing to do - the right thing? I have been noodling on specific circumstances that have me questioning whether I did the right thing based on how they turned out. 


There were two circumstances where I put others' needs ahead of my own, and it didn't work out. It is not nearly as noble as when Spock sacrificed himself in Wrath of Khan, but it is my little drama. The binary part of me looks at these situations and sees the only alternative as never putting others first and looking out only for myself. Even writing that down makes me grimace, as it goes against my core beliefs. So, the answer must be in the vast gray area between what I did and doing nothing. In the classic answer for all questions, it depends.

Regarding the two circumstances I have been pondering, the others were not in their integrity, making that the easier thing to focus on. I put others (people, projects, etc.) first and myself second, and it didn't work out as I had hoped. As I healed from that, I was able to begin considering where my learning was. Even if it's a one-off, I won't trust that person in the future.

I have been thinking about reciprocity in this context; doing something for others (entities or people) without expecting what I may get in return. Being a manager/leader is being in service. The thing I struggle with is whether that also requires selflessness. My recent experience is that selflessness in the workplace is a minefield. First, it's not very likely to happen - it's just the nature of companies, especially large ones. Second, I must acknowledge that I sometimes have expectations hiding behind my actions. They may be as simple as looking for a smile, but expectations nonetheless. That doesn't make my decision/activity wrong; it just exposes that I had some expectations. It's the missed expectations that led to my disappointment.

Ultimately, I feel good about what I did and my reasons for doing it. I would make the same choice again, looking out for any expectations I have. It also means that being selfless does not mean sacrificing myself. So, maintain my integrity, do what I believe right, and watch out for personal risks.


No comments:

Post a Comment